RE: Glossary Definition for Audit(ing) [Was: RE: AG004 Closure S ought]

The original context of this discussion, as I understand it, was to define
what I would call a Secure Audit Trail, which had already been given the
label of "Audit" and needed a glossary definition.

I have been down this road before. (The first time was with DCE circa 1992.)
People always suggest combining security auditing with generalized auditing
or even a generalized event service. The problem is that once you start to
look into it, the requirements diverge to a sufficient extent that you end
up defining two distinct facilities. (Security Audit has much higher
requirements for assurance, availability and formal trust, which negatively
impact performance and complexity of a general event reporting service.)

I would like to avoid repeating this process, so I would resist redefining
this into a generalized service. On the other hand, I have no problem with
changing the term being defined from "Audit" to "Security Audit".

Hal