Re: Where do we find software architecture?

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 03:50:02PM -0700, Burdett, David wrote:
> Mark
>
> You said ...

> Me too. I think it is really a question of emphasis. I think you are more
> inclined to build from the web and REST in particular. I, like David O,
> think that we should look at SOAP+WSDL and then extend it to include ideas
> from, IMO, ebXML.

Nope, we don't even disagree there. 8-)

While I *MUCH* prefer REST to what people are doing with Web services -
and even to ebXML - for the time being I'm setting aside that preference
in order to do something similar to what you describe there; look at
SOAP+WSDL (specs & systems), document its architecture, then look to
fixing/extending/augmenting that architecture in the future.

The reason I want to do this is *not* because I like the existing
architecture of deployed Web services, but because I want to give the
Director, and the TAG, something to chew on so that we can get some
early feedback.

> What we need to do now, is decide the process to follow to get to where we
> need to get to ...

I'd like to see us harvest at least one SOAP + WSDL based Web service.
Then we could take that, incorporate the harvesting work done to the
SOAP and WSDL specs, and document the result.  At that point, I'd be
happy to publish it.  So I don't think we're that far off, though the
structure of the architecture document would have to permit this sort of
description; it doesn't, currently.

Did I mention that we also have to agree what "architecture" is? 8-/