Re: Where do we find software architecture?

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 01:47:25 -0400
To: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 09:43:19PM -0700, David Orchard wrote:
> BTW, I see no contradiction in either of our positions with the glossary
> definition of architecture, "The software architecture of a program or
> computing system is the structure or structures of the system, which
> comprise software components, the externally visible properties of those
> components, and the relationships among them."  Taking architecture from
> SOAP and WSDL, like the processing model of soap 1.2, the transport binding
> framework, the message exchange patterns, etc. all fit in the glossary
> definition of architecture.

No they don't.  Have you read the book[1] where that definition came
from?  It's quite clear.  I forget their exact definition, but they
provide basically the same one that most other experts use; that a
component is a software artifact, encapsulating processing
functionality and/or state.  MEPs, processing models, binding
frameworks, etc.. are not components, connectors, or data elements.
They are not architectural elements at all, at the system level,
though they all play a role in the architecture.  For example, the
SOAP 1.2 processing model forms an important part in the connectors.

Heck, just check out the rest of their definition here (the first

> I don't think you want to be casting stones about being out of touch with
> industry on architecture definitions or any other topic, it's unreasonable
> and can easily backfire.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, and I apologize if it comes across
that way, but what can I say?  You're not using standard terms.  If the
group decides this is what they want, then we need to fix our glossary
(as a start).  But I'd hope that we prefer to use the same terms as
others do in the field of software architecture.

 [1] http://www.awl.com/cseng/titles/0-201-19930-0/