Re: [rest-discuss] RE: Clarification on REST, GET and CGI

David Orchard wrote:

> Paul,
>
> You didn't refute my point at all, which is that REST is not used
> appropriately in many ways on the web but we don't document all the
> inappropriate usages in the web architecture document and Roy's thesis.

I didn't intend to refute your point. I wanted to correct a persistent
misinterpretation that Roy Fielding said something against CGI or
against "excessive gatewaying". Hopefully he'll correct me if I'm wrong
but I think that his opinion is that gatewaying (CGI or whatever) is the
right way to integrate non-Web systems with the Web and is a core part
of web architecture. You have repeatedly cited that message in a manner
I believe to be incorrect and I felt it was necessary to inform you (no
matter what the topic of discussion).
--
Come discuss XML and REST web services at:
  Open Source Conference: July 22-26, 2002, conferences.oreillynet.com