Re: New snapshot of the Web Services Architecture Usage Scenarios

Hi Martin,

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 03:09:36PM -0700, Martin Chapman wrote:

> <shield-UP>
>    Considering the harvesting work and the interesting REST discussions,
> aren't these scenarios a bit SOAP specific for publication?
>    Is there anyway to make these generic without loosing info and
> without prejudicing current and future discussions?
> </shield-UP>)>

FWIW, I don't have an objection to SOAP being used (though I'd prefer
it not be exclusive), but I would ask that the SOAP examples be made
REST-friendly.

Contrary to some what people think, REST and SOAP are compatible - just
not in the way most people use SOAP.

For example, S001 says;

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<env:Envelope xmlns:env="http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope">
  <env:Body>
    <r:StockPriceUpdate xmlns:r="http://example.org/2001/06/quotes">
      <r:Symbol>BigCo</r:Symbol>
      <r:Price>34.5</r:Price>
    </r:StockPriceUpdate>
  </env:Body>
</env:Envelope>

which could be done in a REST-friendly SOAP way as;

SOAP-PUT http://example.org/quote/bigco/ HTTP/1.1
Host: example.org
[blank line]
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<env:Envelope xmlns:env="http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope">
  <env:Body>
    <r:Price>34.5</r:Price>
  </env:Body>
</env:Envelope>

where SOAP-PUT is described here;

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2002May/0112.html

or it could just be done with vanilla HTTP PUT;

PUT http://example.org/quote/bigco/ HTTP/1.1
Host: example.org
[blank line]
34.5

Would anybody be interested in me taking a whack at doing this for
the other scenarios?