RE: [hst] harvest list (repost from Mon 07/08/2002 05:20 PM)

David,
I think this is a good idea.

There is a whole bunch of WS-related JSRs. Some of them, like JAX-RPC
(JSR-101) and Implementing Enterprise Web Services (JSR-109), have a lot of
implementation details in support of the basic SOAP 1.1 spec and might not
provide many original architectural components.

But other JSRs, like JAXM that you mention, go beyond the basic SOAP spec
and might have some useful architectural contributions.

In the specific case of JAXM (JSR-67) here is a list of the architectural
contributions I can think of:

- Concept of a "Provider" to support asynchronous communication. The
Provider is basically a queuing element which can support different
transports like HTTP, JMS, etc. A client connects to a Provider and sends a
SOAP message directly to it. The Provider takes the responsibility of
delivering the message to the intended recipient. A Provider can offer
different QoS depending on the transport used (e.g. a JMS-based Provider
could offer reliability and scalability).

- Concept of a "Profile" to support the functionality of the Provider. The
Profile indicates the type of SOAP-based metainformation (typically carried
by SOAP headers) that is included in the message. Examples of this
metainformation are sender, recipient, message ID, correlation. This
information is used by the Provider to deliver to the correct recipient and,
possibly, to handle P2P conversations. JAXM can support different Profiles
(the spec gives the examples of the ebXML Message Service and the SOAP
Routing Protocol). A particular Profile can also extend the QoS provided by
the basic JAXM implementation.

Ugo