RE: [RTF] AC019 proposal to WSA WG

Sure ... I can buy an unreliable car that will *probably* get me to work
for $1000.  If it breaks down, I can simply buy another ....It's not
REQUIRED to have a reliable car, but awfully inconvenient not to.

Or I can buy a reliable car for $10,000.  Which strategy do most people who
can afford it take?

> 404s are extremely reliable.  They let you know,
> unequivocaly, that the
> resource is not to be found.

You're right, of course.  I was thinking of all the reasons having nothing
to do with the actual existence of a resource that can cause a browser to
display some sort of "can't reach that page" error.  As you point out, HTTP
has a number of other error codes for these situations.

> Maybe you can answer me this; why is it important that HTTP GET or PUT
> messages be reliably delivered?

Because lots and lots of developers say that this is an issue, and many
member companies proprietary web services architectures have or propose a
solution to the reliability issue, and because if reliability isn't covered
in the WSA the developers will use incompatible proprietary solutions, and
the absence of a solution to a commonly cited problem in the WSA will
seriously undermine its credibility in the industry.