Re: [RTF] AC019 proposal to WSA WG

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 23:10:27 -0400
To: Joseph Hui <Joseph.Hui@exodus.net>
Cc: "Damodaran, Suresh" <Suresh_Damodaran@stercomm.com>, www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 07:43:22PM -0700, Joseph Hui wrote:
> RM is a term for a solution class, which is generic.
> It's not a solution instance, which is specific.

Joe, obviously one person's "specific" is another's "generic".  My
belief is that "reliable messaging" is too specific to be a requirement
at this point in time.

"Reliable messaging" is generally regarded as the ability to ensure
end-to-end message delivery optionally with QoSs such as ordering.
Agreed?  If so, it is this form of solution that I object to.  Reliable
messaging is not suitable for all architectural styles.  And given that
we haven't picked a style yet (though we're required to integrate
cleanly with a state transfer based one, the Web), I suggest that it's
too early to get that specific.