Re: Comments on SOAP Version 1.2 Part 1: Messaging Framework

From: Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:44:01 -0400
To: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Cc: Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>, www-ws-arch@w3.org, www-ws-arch-request@w3.org

Hugo,

Please see the LC announcement[1] regarding the handling of attachments in
SOAP.
Specifically, in section III:

-- The XMLP WG plans to publish a document (probably as a W3C Note)
describing an Attachment Feature. This document will be started during the
Last Call period and should be completed before SOAP 1.2 becomes a
Recommendation.

My own personal preference would be for a defined use of XLink (simple?)
links to represent
references to resources external to the SOAP envelope.

Cheers,

Chris

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2002Jun/0114.html

                      Hugo Haas
                      <hugo@w3.org>            To:       Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
                      Sent by:                 cc:       www-ws-arch@w3.org
                      www-ws-arch-reque        Subject:  Re: Comments on SOAP Version 1.2 Part 1: Messaging Framework
                      st@w3.org

                      07/02/2002 08:23
                      AM

Hi Jean-Jacques.

* Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr> [2002-07-02 10:24+0200]
> Re. outside references, you may be aware that the XMLP WG is thinking of
> publishing an Attachment Note. I expect such a note to cover outside
> references. Also, the SOAP Encoding section (Part 2) now uses idref's
> (previously href's), to clearly point out references are internal to the
> message. Do you think the spec should be more explicit?

For some reason, I didn't make the connection between this paragraph
and IDREFs. Rereading the text in the spec, I think that it is clear,
it is just that I had the recollection that it was using hrefs.

Can you please point me to the discussions about the IDREF/href
discussion? I couldn't find it in the issues list[1].

I wonder how you want to handle attachments, and also how I could
reference something out of the SOAP message, say
<http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-issues-lc-html.xsl>, given this
current text.

Regards,

Hugo