RE: Web Service Definition [Was "Some Thoughts ..."]

I agree here with Steve's observations and submit that D&D are neither necessary nor sufficient to create a Web Service. Web Services is currently an imprecise term - and that vagueness can allow one to bind it to a range of capabilities as witnessed by the telecon and emails debating issues such as description, discovery, self-containmanship, etc. It seems to me that there is a boundary out there, albeit blurry, between what is and what is not a WS, but its too early for the group to converge on the proper verbiage which is sufficiently useful to our audience. Also, a vague definition, IMHO, will not serve our audience well. So I to would rather attack this again after we have hashed out goals and requirements. That said, I believe the lowest common denominator seems pretty close to Steve's 3 criteria. The optional criteria are the debating points: descriptions, discovery, security, composition and I think should emerge as extensions to the basic WS DNA.

Mike Mahan, Nokia

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Vinoski, Stephen [mailto:steve.vinoski@iona.com]
Sent: February 28, 2002 05:03 PM
To: Joseph Hui
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: Web Service Definition [Was "Some Thoughts ..."]

And as I explained on the teleconference: discovery isn't a necessary
part of the definition, because I can write a system where applications
access web services via URIs and communicate with them via standard
protocols, all without the aid of any discovery service such as UDDI or
WS-Inspection. I have real-world proof of this: some of IONA's customers
have web services in production right now and are not using a discovery
service in their systems.

As for description: the fact that XML-RPC has been around for several
years now and has facilitated the creation of web services without the
need for a description language ala WSDL should be proof enough that
description is not a necessary part of the definition, either.

On another note, in another email, you said:
>WSP08 is necessary because the property to be described
>and to be discovered differentiates the Web Service computing
>model from other contenders, such as EDI, CORBA, ...

Just wanted to correct you: CORBA allows services to be described and
discovered. Description has always been a part of CORBA via its
Interface Definition Language (IDL), and discovery occurs through
standard services such as Naming (like telephone white pages) or a
Trader (like telephone yellow pages).

--steve