Re: Web Service Definition [Was "Some Thoughts ..."]

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:49:50 -0500 (EST)
To: jhui@digisle.net (Joseph Hui)
Cc: Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com (Champion Mike), RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com ("Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)"), steve.vinoski@iona.com, www-ws-arch@w3.org
Hi Joseph,

> So, instead of trying to compile a list which shall soon
> become amiss no matter how exhaustive we can make it now with
> existing definitions, I'd propose we take a different tack,
> to define web services by properties, which are more likely
> to remain invariant with time.

As Daniel said, this definitely looks like a set of requirements.  But
requirements do not a definition make. 8-)

I think the definition Steve and I came up is a sort of necessary and
sufficient set of features that a service must have in order to be
called a Web service.  I'm also strongly of the opinion that we
*should* define what a web service is separate from what the
requirements of an architecture should be to support them.  There's
additional value add there.