RE: Some Thoughts about Goals

EDI is indeed important to Web Services, though in an indirect fashion.
EDI standardization started in 1979 (believe it or not), and one of its
most important contributions from a Web Services perspective is its
standardization of "orchestrations" or "choreographies," i.e., the
business processes that trading partners follow in order to do business
with one another. These orchestrations are extremely important to Web
Services because without them, you are stuck with only useless little
RPC-oriented web services such as stock quoters.

Modern-day standards bodies such as ebXML and RosettaNet are carrying on
from the EDI tradition. They're applying the good things about EDI to
the modern world of XML and the Internet. They are developing the
orchestrations and ontologies required to allow applications to interact
properly within business processes. (Some here might say that the
Semantic Web is going to solve all this, but I personally don't believe
it will because IMO it's trying to do too much. The way that EDI has
proven that application-to-application integration across trading
partners is pragmatic is by limiting its scope (severely limiting, when
you think about it) to common business functions. There are also related
developments, such as Microsoft's XLANG and IBM's Web Services Flow
Language (WSFL), in the Web Services space, though these apply at
perhaps a slightly different level.)

I strongly recommend that every member of the WSAWG read the following
seminal Web Services article:

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/10/03/webservices.html

IMO this article explains some very fundamental issues that we all need
to keep in mind as we work to develop a Web Services architecture. (I
have written similar ideas in my articles on my home page at
http://www.iona.com/hyplan/vinoski/, if you're interested, but I think
the above article sums it all up better than I do.)

--steve