Hypermedia vs. data

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 21:38:55 -0500
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Greetings,

I recall some discussions with Eric, and perhaps others, in which
claims roughly equivalent to "REST is good if you have hypermedia, and
not if you don't" were made, to which I tried to explain that hypermedia
was a form of solution, not a precondition.

While responding to a recent offline discussion, I realized that there's
a very simple example of the difference between hypermedia and data.

Here's an example of "data", as you might see in a document-centric
use of SOAP;

<invoice>
  <item productid="439843434"/>
  <item productid="348787492"/>