RE: Reliability is really two-phase (was RE: Reliable Web Services)

> > Arkin
> >
> > It seems to me that we are trying to role many things onto one
> > here  - There are three layers IMO 1) the state of individual
> > message (sent,  recieved, acknowledged) where RM will help in
> > many cases, 2) the commitment or synchronization of state
> > changes that result from  a single or set of messages (enlisted,
> > prepared, committed) where BTP can help, and the state of the
> > conversation  or process (commitment to defined constraints
> > within a process) instantiated by message exchanges.
> >
> > The last 2 together can answer many of problems that RM has been
> > applied to, but that does not negate the need for RM in every
> > instance. There will be a need for one or combinations of the
> > three levels to answer many business problems/interactions.
>
> I agree. These are different but complementary solution and
> the combination in which they are used depends on the problem
> you are trying to use. If you use synchronous messaging you
> will not be concerned with an RM. If you do not need a
> coordination an RM would be sufficient. If you do
> asynchronous messaging and need a high level of coordination
> you would have to look at all three solutions.
>
> > For example what happens in the example scenario if the ack is
> > expected back from the supplier in 30 minutes and does not arrive
> > only for the buyer to resend and then get back the ack from
> > the original request. Unless the supplier can recognize the same
> > message precisely it may create a second replicate order - in
> > the case of BTP this is handled ( consistent context for both
> > messages) and BTP could be used to handle the 30 minute rule,
> > where participants have to be enrolled in the transaction (in
> > this case ack the request and agreed to participate in the
> > transaction) within that time frame.
>
> When you resend a message you resend an exact copy of the
> same message, and the RM only delivers one instance of the
> message to the application. So the whole process of acking
> and ignoring duplicates is totally transparent to the application.
>
> If the application was trying to deal with this situation, it
> would complicate the application. It would generate two
> different messages and at the receiving end would have to
> identify that they relate to the same purchase order, so you
> would require application code to deal with duplicates.

I understand this, and agree, and the same applies to BTP and PM being
outside the application or functionality  layer - the layers in my mind
get closer to the application layer as you get higher in the stack
(transport->protocol->context->process->application).

> Transactions would definitely help. However, since the sender
> is not able to communicate with the receiver, the sender
> would cancel the transaction and send a new message in a
> different transaction. When the receiver comes back online it
> has to cancel the first transaction on its side before it can
> process the new message in a new transaction. An RM solution
> would be slightly more efficient.

BTP has this type of resilience but in the context of, what I call a
commitment, what BTP describes as a business transaction.

> This raises a different question. Applications that use
> synchronous protocols or use transactions to synchronize
> every message delivery do not suffer from message loss. These
> applications do not require an RM.

> For some applications it is beneficial if you can reduce the
> amount of synchronous message exchange. You would want to use
> asynchronous protocols, and want to reduce traffic to the
> minimum. In this case the RM helps by reducing the traffic to
> two messages in the general case. (The idea is that you want
> to optimize for the general case when everything works
> smoothly, even if you have to pay for it in performance when
> things go bad)

Agreed

> I would think than an efficient protocol for asynchronous
> messaging would piggyback transaction states on top of
> application messages.

This is the BTP optimized, in my mind general case.

> In this case the receiver is enlisted
> in the transaction by the sender when the first message in
> the transaction is sent to the receiver. This does not commit
> the receiver to anything, but allows them to determine the
> transaction outcome or change it without having to send a
> separate enlistment message.
>
> What's your opinion?

This is another possible optimization  - but may not be flexible enough
in some cases considered for BTP (the sender does not give the receiver
the opportunity to decide who/what needs to enlist ).

Today the simplest case involves the receiver agreeing to participate in
the transaction (the transaction context, as part of the application
message is sort of an invite to provider to enlist parties under its
control in the transaction context provided). The receiver can do so in
conjunction with the second message passed from receiver back to sender,
the message can also optionally have state about the work requested -
i.e. prepared statement if the work is completed (with whatever caveats
it wants to impose). When done this way you still have two messages,
outside the termination phase of the message exchange.