From: Ricky Ho [mailto:riho@cisco.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002 1:05 PM
To: Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler); Pae Choi; www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: Web services Requirement at the client side in
Orchestration

I think whether one side needs to implement a "listener" depends on whether
it is implementing a "push-based" or "pull-based" interaction style.  Both
styles can be used to implement the same conversational semantics.

In a "push" style, so somebody will call you later, therefore you have to
provide a listener that they can call.

But you don't need listener in "pull" style, I can think of at least 2
cases ...

1) Client send a request and then "synchronously" wait for the response
after the processing is done.
2) Client send a request and immediately get back a receipt which contains
a tracking number.  Then after a reasonable among of time, the client send
polling message (along with the tracking number) and get back the response
when the processing is done.

Rgds, Ricky