Does RM make a qualitative difference?

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:19:35 -0500
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

In trying to solve the reliability problem with the approach currently
being discussed (in contrast to the reliable coordination approach
I've suggested), I wonder what we're accomplishing.

Let's say that the Internet currently successfully transports 99% of
messages.  It appears to me that what we're discussing is a solution
that will just up that number to, say, 99.5%, at the cost of increased
latency due to message retransmission (a reasonable trade-off in many
cases).

If that's correct, is it enough to actually make a qualitative
difference to an application developer?  Or are they still going to have
to deal with lost messages?  I believe it's the latter, which is why I
suggest that our time would be best spent focusing on how to help
application developers deal with reliable coordination.

Thanks.