RE: Next Steps in Reliable Messaging (was RE: Different Levels of Rel iable Messaging)

Assaf

You're advocating including the acknowledgement capability into XMLP. I
don't think this will fly and I don't think we should as:
1. Acknowledgements would be implemented as a SOAP Module/Feature
2. XMLP does not (I think) include ANY SOAP Modules/Features at the moment
so it would set a huge change of objectives
3. Many SOAP implementations will not need acknowledgements. Therefore
including it in the XMLP spec is unnecessary scope creep.

I agree though that an acknowledgement spec is needed. What I would suggest
is:
1. Developing an Acknowledgement spec that can be layered on top of XMLP as
a SOAP Module
2. Developing a RM spec (covering levels 1 to 4 in [1]) on top

But this only works if there is a group that can do the architectural work
to decide:
1. What features are required
2. How those features are related one-to-another
3. How they can be used in combination.

Shoult the WS Architecture group do this or should it be done elsewhere?

David
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Dec/0083.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Dec/0083.html>