Re: "Reliable" web services for Next Big Thing? (was RE: Agenda for 5 December WSA telcon)

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:26:54 -0500
To: "Burdett, David" <david.burdett@commerceone.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 12:53:16PM -0800, Burdett, David wrote:
> The problem with this is that, just after you have given up, you might
> receive the acknowledgement that indicates the message was received ...
> which is where it gets more complicated.

Exactly.  The two army problem has a solution in bounded time, which
is unfortunately not very helpful on a public, asynchronous network.

There were a number of good papers written about this general problem
during the 90s.  A more recent one I found, does a good job at
summarizing the more important ones, IMO;