Re: WSD Requirements: add a requirement about safe and idempotent characteristics

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 21:21:51 -0500
To: Assaf Arkin <arkin@intalio.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Assaf,

I don't think we're going to resolve this, because at the heart of this
issue, like so many others, are some fundamental assumptions made by Web
services that I believe are fatally flawed.

You mention something here that alludes to one of these assumptions; that
"protocol independance" is a feature, rather than a bug.

> Personally, I do not see such a clear cut division of labor between POST and
> GET.

DaveO recently said something similar when he suggested that a GET
binding for SOAP complicated matters by giving developers two ways to do
the same thing.  So you're in good company with this belief.

GET and POST are both application methods, and they do fundamentally
different things, as you'd expect different application methods to do.
Almost nothing that is suitable for GET is suitable for POST, and vice
versa.

Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.   http://www.markbaker.ca

   Will distribute objects for food