From: Assaf Arkin [mailto:arkin@intalio.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 3:17 PM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: WSD Requirements: add a requirement about safe and idempotent
characteristics

Just my $.02

We are using WSDL to understand how to interact with a Web service when it
is utilized as part of a business process. A service would be used in
different ways depending on whether it is idempotent or not, transactional
or not, etc. In particular, if you are interacting with a transactional Web
service that exposes an idempotent operation you would not ask that
operation to participate in a transaction or persist the fact you performed
the operation on your side, since you can retry it without any side effects.

There are other ways to mark an operation as idempotent, however putting
that in the WSDL abstract definition would help the tool understand how to
build the proper interaction. It would be extremely useful to see something
like that added to the WSDL abstract operation definition, regardless of
which transport protocol you use. In actual execution you might decide to
perform the operation over SMTP, TCP or a variety of other protocols.

If we could conclude that GET is always used for idempotent operations and
POST is always used for non-idempotent operations than we could place a
restriction on the protocol bindings such that they comply with the type of
operation described at the abstract layer, since by definition the protocol
binding follows the abstract operation definition and supports it.

Personally, I do not see such a clear cut division of labor between POST and
GET. And more specifically to Mark's point I do not see how DELETE is
idempotent if it removes a resource on the server. If there is a difference
between doing DELETE zero times and doing DELETE once, then by definition it
is not idempotent.

As a very basic example let's consider a translation service that converts
an HTML document into PDF, or an insurance quoting service that requires a
complex data structure as input in order to provide a quote for a policy.
Such a service could be implemented using HTTP POST or SMTP, but is
idempotent.

On the other hand, I could see a real-time stock quote retrieval service
that given a stock ticker gives you the current stock price. Since the
request is simple it could also be implemented using HTTP GET. However,
being real time means that the response should not be cached by a proxy
(which is easy to control using the cache control headers of HTTP). It also
means you get charged each time you retrieve a quote, so the service is
definitely not idempotent.

regards,
arkin