Message exchange patterns in the architecture

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:17:46 +0200
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

As per my action item from yesterday's teleconference, I am
articulating here the problem about message exchange patterns (MEP) in
the Web services architecture.

The architecture draft[1] discusses MEPs as an architectural element.
They currently appear in the document both as a SOAP feature and a
WSDL description attribute. They are likely to show up in one form or
another in other places, e.g. in choreography.

An interesting question is to know what relationships MEPs have in
each of those "layers", if any. I would therefore like to add an issue
in the document about how MEPs translate from one "layer" to another.

Some background discussions on this:

    Discussion in the WSCG list:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-cg/2002Jul/thread.html#1

    A (short) document comparing SOAP's and WSDL's approaches:
    http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/cg/2/07/meps.html

Regards,

Hugo

  1. http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/2/08/wd-wsa-arch-20020821.html