Re: Reliable Messaging: Division of Responsibilities (was RE: RES T, Conversations and Reliability)

Hi Roger,

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 02:15:31PM -0400, Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler) wrote:
> I think that I am positioning this definition in the application layer,
> which is more or less where I personally think that the mechanism
> belongs.

I think that's a fine definition of reliable messaging, but I disagree
that what you've described is at the application layer, because the
definition is independant of any application semantic.  Or in other
words, all messages, independant of their application layer meaning,
are treated equivalently.  To me, that's more of a layer 6 protocol.