RE: "Orchestration" and "Choreography"

From: bhaugen <linkage@interaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 06:41:14 -0500
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Orchestration
\Or`ches*tra"tion\, n. (Mus.) The arrangement of music for an orchestra;
orchestral treatment of a composition; -- called also instrumentation.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary,  1996, 1998 MICRA,
Inc.

Doesn't say anything about conducting.

In Duke Ellington's band, Duke often composed the melodies,
and Billy Strayhorn often did the orchestration:  assigned
parts to instruments, wrote the sheets for each player, etc.
Duke led (but rarely conducted) the band.

Christopher Ferris wrote (but disagreed with):
> In general, I think that most people have been using the terms
> somewhat interchangably, e.g. without really thinking about or
> inferring any hidden meaning.

I think that is the state of affairs.

W3C can of course make words mean whatever you want,
but will the world go along?

-Bob Haugen