Re: "Orchestration" and "Choreography"

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 02:18:35PM +0600, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> To me orchestration, choreography, business process, workflow
> are all ways of indicating how to take a bunch of things and
> put them together to do something meaningful. We also use the
> term composition for the same thing

Indeed.  We also use the term "routing", just to muddy the waters
further.  Routing differs from these other technologies in that a
generic interface is assumed between routed components, so you end up
with a data-flow pipeline rather than a process-flow one.  It also
differs in that it requires composition with generic interfaces, which
has the benefit that composed services (a route) have the same interface
as an individual service (aka the Composite pattern).

Unix pipes are an example.  "cat - | sort | uniq | wc -l" is a
dynamically constructed, composite piece of software whose interface
is the same as its component pieces.

Any application protocol intermediary is also an example.  SMTP relays,
HTTP proxies & gateways, etc..