Re: Web service definition

On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, at 09:40  AM, Mark Baker wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 09:21:29AM -0400, Geoff Arnold wrote:
>> Definition:
>> A Web service is a software application identified by a URI, whose
>> interfaces and bindings are defined and described using XML. Its
>
> I'd prefer 'can be defined', rather than 'are defined', so that Web
> resources are included.

Interesting. Is a not-yet-defined entity a Web service? I would have
thought that a Web service (qua service) was instantiated by
publishing the (URI, definition) tuple in some way. No
definition, no service.

(I think this points to the need for some work on web service
life cycle, but for now let's just sort out the definition.)

Geoff

PS IMHO discussion of the definition has been useful: it's
surfaced [sorry, "drawn attention to"] a number of substantive
topics.