RE: Web service definition

From: Brian Connell <brian@westglobal.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:12:01 +0100
To: <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

> I'm not comfortable with the use of the term 'component'.
> I believe that the WG has expressed similar concern quite frequently.
> I'd suggest that we leave it as 'application' for now.

I'm equally uncomfortable with both 'application' and 'component'.
Both suggest a possibility of a plurality of services.  A better word would
be more akin to 'method' meaning 'invocable software function', as this
implies one service.

What's the alternatives?

There must be something better that a definition that starts with 'A Web
Service is a  software application ....'.

Can I suggest 'A Web Service is a software function ...'
or
'A Web Service represents business logic ...'

IMHO, the second is better as it distinguishes between a representation of
business logic, and the logic itself.

Brian Connell
CTO, WestGlobal