Re: RDF isn't so hot

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:10:18 -0400
To: Francis McCabe <fgm@fla.fujitsu.com>, www-ws-arch@w3.org

Francis McCabe wrote:
> At the risk of throwing in a wet towel on a flame fest etc. etc. I feel it
> is important to raise a few warnings about RDF.
>  From a number of different points of view, RDF has serious issues:
> 1. Software Engineering
>    RDF is `aggressively' untyped; in some ways it is even worse than XML in
> this regard which at least has DTDs and XML schemas to assist the process.
>   RDF is untypeable (sic) and proud of it. This maximizes the impedance gap
> between RDF and regular programming languages.

Just as XML has XML Schemas, RDF has DAML, with its

In general, it is surprising to me that you evaluate RDF separate from
its schema languages.

 * http://www.daml.org/2002/03/tutorial/slide120-0.html
"When I walk on the floor for the final execution, I'll wear a denim
suit. I'll walk in there like Willie Nelson, John Wayne, Will Smith
-- Men in Black -- James Brown. Maybe do a Michael Jackson moonwalk."
Congressman James Traficant.