Re: Web service definition

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:25:15 -0400
To: Geoff Arnold <Geoff.Arnold@Sun.COM>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Let's just look at the first sentence;

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 11:12:07AM -0400, Geoff Arnold wrote:
> NEW: Definition: A Web service is a software application identified by a
>       URI, whose interfaces and bindings are defined in terms of XML
> based
>       messages transported by internet protocols.

In addition to excluding the use of application protocols by using the
word "transport", it also says that the interfaces are defined in terms
of messages, which is quite different than the current definition and
arguably incorrect.

Anyhow, I'm not arguing that the existing definition is perfect.  It has
*lots* of problems of its own.  But the proposed one is *substantially*
different, and given the detail that we went into to come up with what
we have now, I would strongly recommend small, incremental changes.