Re: Choreography and REST

bhaugen wrote:

> I agree with every word of your paragraph,
> but Paul's articles have caused me to
> rethink how I might satisfy the business
> requirements.

Right. The requirements are the same but the approach is different.

Let me try it another way. Have you ever wanted to get data into a
relational database (or OO object model) and found that the foreign key
relationships (or object constructors) required you to add the
information in a particular order? If so, then you should be familiar
with the concept that a very rigorous order of instructions can be
forced on a conversation participant *by the data structures* rather
than through a *separate negotiation*.

The only reason that this is not obvious in the remote case is because
we have been conditioned to believe that web services participants
cannot declare "constructors" (they can, through XML schemas and POST)
and cannot constrain links (they can, through RDF and/or WRDL and/or
simple XML Schema extensions). Once you have these, choreography falls
out.
--
XML, Web Services Architecture, REST Architectural Style
Consulting, training, programming: http://www.constantrevolution.com