Reliable Messaging: Division of Responsibilities (was RE: REST, C onversations and Reliability)

The REST, Conversations and reliability thread has been
informative. I am splitting out what I believe to be one of the
key design issues to come from it in hopes of focusing and
progressing to a useful architecture document.

*If* we assume that the view that applications must share *some*
responsibility for reliability, then I think our task is to add
as many semantics and formalized processes to access and manage
these semantics.

This approach will allow the responsibility to be shared and
evolve over time while supporting a high level of interoperability.
Specifically, the roles and responsibilities of intermediaries seem
to be an important but insufficiently defined factor in this division
of labor.

Does this make sense? If so, should we begin to define the interface
between transport and application in these terms?

Regards,
Dave

Edwin K writes:
The point is here is not as much about hiding the reliability logic
layer from the application logic layer but to allow the application
logic to delegate reliability.