Re: REST, Conversations and Reliability

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 06:51:44PM -0600, Champion, Mike wrote:
> Or to put it another way, the WSA might recommend XML syntax as a wire
> format for interoperability reasons, but must not build higher layers or
> dependent modules on the assumption of XML syntax, only that whatever the
> wire format is, it can be mapped to the SOAP infoset representation.   Would
> anyone disagree?  I think we're asking for a fight with the XMLP and TAG
> folks if we suggest backtracking on the infoset basis for the formal specs.

We have to be careful not to exclude the use of the Web Method
Specification Feature of SOAP 1.2; an HTTP GET is now a valid message
that can be sent, received, and processed in a Web services context.

I like the approach of documenting best practice.  We could easily
say that the reference architecture uses SOAP messages serialized with
XML, *and* HTTP GET messages.  I don't see any interop issue with doing
that.