From: Krishna Sankar [mailto:ksankar@cisco.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 4:47 AM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: Security Question

Roger,

	Actually a good question.

	a)	Normally, the purchase order, which would be the payload
and based on a schema/namespace. For example Rosettanet PIP3A4 Version x
would say what the qty mean, how one can add the qualifier "each",
"lot",... et al and also what the default value is. If there is no
default value, then the PO would be rejected, .... you get the picture.
The PO would be signed and that is how we assure integrity. Of course,
for confidentiality,  we would encrypt the PO as well.

            In short, the context, in this case the namespace and the
schema would be captured in the message and signed to assure integrity.

    b)    Reading thru your e-mail, are you talking about an alteration
of the schema at the buyer side ? Were you thinking of creating a PO
using one schema and then sending it out with reference to a similar but
different schema ? BTW, this could happen by mistake as well - for
example create using Version 1.0 and then send with a ref to version
2.0; and extending the contrived example, ver 1.0 says "Each" and 2.0
says "doz" as the default :o(.

		BTW, this is not a case of sending a Version 1.0 message
to a version 2.0 web service because the version 2.0 service would fault
if it cannot handle the semantics of the 1.0 message. This is where
version number plays a big role.

cheers