RE: [STF] WS Sec Group Scoping

From: Hal Lockhart <hal.lockhart@entegrity.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 09:23:23 -0400
To: "'Joseph Hui'" <Joseph.Hui@exodus.net>, www-ws-arch@w3.org

> > Is Accessibility the term normally used in the W3C to mean
> > the opposite of Denial of Service?
>
> We are only speaking of Accessibility in the context of security.
> Within such context, Availability connotes the DOS affecting the
> targets only; and Accessibilities pertains to both the targets
> (SYN flood, e.g.) and the sources (DNS spoofing, e.g.).

This is a very interesting distinction, which I am not sure I completely
understand. However, if we are going to propose work around this item, we
should supply a definition. Neither RFC2828
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2828.txt, nor Lynn Wheeler's comprehensive
glossary http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/secure.htm provide any definition of
accessibility. (Interestingly, many of the definitions of Availability use
the word accessible in some way.)

Perhaps we should add Accessibility to the WSA WG Glossary.

Hal