Re: Do RESTifarians want anything from the WSA that they don't already have?

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 13:57:28 -0400
To: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

You have a knack for getting caught by SpamAssassin, Mike. 8-O

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 11:14:22AM -0600, Champion, Mike wrote:
> Seriously, is there anything that a REST practicioner needs from the WSA
> that isn't already in HTTP+XML+SOAP1.2?  A declarative description language?
> A common security framework?  A way of grouping transactions that span a
> single HTTP invocation?

For sure, there's all sorts of new extensions we can identify, including
many that people have been talking about all along; transactions,
conversations, reliability, routing, etc...  But they should all be
defined within the architectural constraints of the Web, which is what I
mean by suggesting that REST is sufficient (i.e. the architectural style
is sufficient, but the system that implements - the Web - it may not
be).  The vast majority of WS specs that have been published to date,
were not developed with these constraints in mind.