Re: A priori CSF

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:37:31 -0400
To: Krishna Sankar <ksankar@cisco.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 11:18:45AM -0700, Krishna Sankar wrote:
> Mark,
> 	A little more details would be helpful for me at least. Brings
> out the thoughts. I kind-of understand the need to articulate a minimal
> subset of common information/metadata which could be available across
> *all* web services. I am unclear on the "generic language" part - do you
> mean a vocabulary (URI, state, version, ...) plus an interaction pattern
> ? Analogous to a well defined base class, I assume, with fields and
> methods.

Yes, exactly right.  A common set of generic methods, fault codes, etc..
that could be defined as a "base class" from which all Web services
could "inherit" (just to put it in OO terms - but I'm not suggesting
that we architect it that way or require any particular OO model).

IMO, this has been a major architectural element missing from existing
Web services work; you never know what to do with the URI that you've
got.  But of course, it wouldn't prevent custom methods from being