From: Hugo Haas [mailto:hugo@w3.org]
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 1:52 PM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: Re: EDI and Use Cases

* Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler) <RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com> [2002-04-02
13:46-0600] [..]
> I am, however, a bit concerned about two other issues that appear to
> be important to EDI.  The first may be trivial, the second may be
> impossible -- but they are both things that seem to be heavy hitters
> in terms of what is expected from a VAN so let me get them on the
> table for comment:
>
> 1 - Unique message ID and sequencing.  It is very important to be able
> to identify a message uniquely, and this identification is generally
> contained in the enveloping mechanism.  (There are usually other ID's
> in the body, but this is clearly beyond the scope of the
> infrastructure).  The unique identification is commonly done by the
> combination of "To", "From" and a sequential "control number".  This
> facilitates queries like, "Did you get message N sent from A to B?"
> "What messages of those sent from A to B are between N and M?" and so
> on.  In addition, the datetime of message envelope creation (not
> necessarily the datetime sent) is also important.  As in "What
> messages were created on Tuesday by A?"  As I understand it, the
> sequencing is logical, not a guarantee of order of delivery.  However,
> in some cases (as I understand it, this is unusual) the sequencing may
> be required.  That is, control number 21 is not a valid message unless
> (or until?) 20 has been received.

Identifying messages is a good idea. On the Web, the natural way to do this
is to use URIs.

* Damodaran, Suresh <Suresh_Damodaran@stercomm.com> [2002-04-04 10:00-0600]
[..]
> ebXML Messaging  2.0 specification (the latest version under review)
> requires a GUID (globally unique id) for all messages.
>
> 3.1.6.1 MessageId Element
> The REQUIRED element MessageId is a globally unique identifier for
> each message conforming to MessageId [RFC2822].

In ebXML Messaging  2.0, the message identifier is not expressed as a URI
AFAICT, but could be with the mid scheme[1].

Regards,

Hugo

  1. http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/uri/rfc2111.txt
--