Re: comments required for DAG-0018

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 10:00:16AM +1000, Hao He wrote:
> hi,
>
> Your comments for DAG-0018 please!
>
> I am worried that this goal has not received enough discussions.

How does that saying go?  Beware what you ask for, you might just get
it.  8-)

I didn't follow the previous discussion very closely, so perhaps this
has already been answered, but where did the 1.* subgoal come from?  I
don't see any mention of metrics in the charter.  Is it implicit
someplace else perhaps?

I don't disagree that there's value to doing this, but I question
whether it's something *we* need to do.  Subgoal 1 says;

"Develop a standard convention of measuring Web Services metrics so
different service providers, implementors and consumers can reach
service level agreements. " which is fine, but why is this something
we should be doing?  Isn't there a consortium of service providers
someplace that could do this?  Do more than a handful of people in this
WG know what this work entails (I sure don't)?  If not, is it really
healthy to "recommend" something that we don't know much about?  Would
that be premature standardization, and would it negatively impact any
other work going on in the industry?  I think these questions need to be
answered before we accept the 1.* subgoals.

I'm not sure about the 2.x goals.  I'll have to think about that.  I'm
also unclear what the 3.x goals are trying to define; how is it
different from what DTMF has defined, as mentioned in 2.3?

Thanks.