Re: So Long and thanks for all the fish (spec maintenance, new versions)

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 14:50:20 -0500
To: "Deborah L. McGuinness" <dlm@ksl.Stanford.EDU>
Cc: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>, webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>, Semantic Web Coorination Group <w3c-semweb-cg@w3.org>, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 14:23, Deborah L. McGuinness wrote:
> thanks to you and guus also for all of the work.

Likewise!

> i have a couple of questions about the documents:
> - what happens to the webont owl documents?  will they be evolved by
> w3c at all?

Possibly; in the W3C process, you are here:

  "7.6 Modifying a W3C Recommendation"
  http://www.w3.org/2004/02/Process-20040205/tr.html#rec-modify

>   for example, there was some formatting issue with columns in a
> number of the documents and i am not sure if that got resolved.  As an
> editor/author, i had said that it was fine for a w3c person or another
> person to make any useful formatting updates  but i am not sure that
> that ever happened.

I got as far as flagging your message for follow-up, I think.

There is a process for fixing bugs of that sort, but I have
never done it. I'm not sure what priority I can afford to give
this task.

> - at the daml pi meeting, the program manager - mark greaves -
> mentioned that he anticipated an owl 2.0.

Hmm... interesting; I have heard very little call for new
versions of OWL.

>   with webont coming to an official end, is there a mechanism for an
> evolution to happen?

Yes; it's basically the same mechanism that got the OWL work started
in the first place: The Director proposes new work (in an Activity
Proposal); the Advisory Committee reviews it, and The Director
decides based on the review feedback.

Points 1 and 2 in this summary are pretty good
http://www.w3.org/2004/02/Process-20040205/intro.html#Intro