Re: TR: [protege-discussion] Re: sufficient or equivalent?

Far be it from me to set myself up as an OWL guru, but I feel obliged
to weigh in on Bernard's side.

Bernard is correct in saying that sufficient clearly isn't the same
thing as equivalent - if it were, then the class hierarchy would
collapse into a single class as being an instance of a subClass of C
is clearly a sufficient condition for being an instance of C.

In the OWL fragments you give, the first one defines an anonymous
class that is equivalent to things having the color blue, and asserts
that this is a *subClass* of BeautifulThing; the second one asserts
that the same anonymous class is *equivalent* to BeautifulThing.

Perhaps this would be clearer if we gave a name to the anonymous
class that is used in both fragments, e.g.:

   <owl:Class rdf:ID="BlueThing">
     <owl:equivalentClass>
       <owl:Restriction>
         <owl:someValuesFrom>
           <owl:Class rdf:about="#Blue"/>
         </owl:someValuesFrom>
         <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#hasColor"/>
       </owl:Restriction>
     </owl:equivalentClass>
   </owl:Class>

Then the first fragment becomes

   <owl:Class rdf:ID="BlueThing">
     <rdfs:subClassOf>
       <owl:Class rdf:about="#BeautifulThing"/>
     </rdfs:subClassOf>
   </owl:Class>

and the second fragment becomes

   <owl:Class rdf:ID="BeautifulThing">
     <owl:equivalentClass>
       <owl:Class rdf:about="#BlueThing"/>
     </owl:equivalentClass>
   </owl:Class>

Hopefully it is clear that these two are not equivalent (as Bernard
points out, asserting that every BlueThing is a BeautifulThing does
not imply that every BeautifulThing is a BlueThing).

Regards, Ian