Some thoughts, after Googling for .owl files

From: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:36:27 +0100
To: "webont" <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

http://www.google.com/search?q=filetype:owl+owl

Gets 2110 hits as of today. Not sure how many distinct owl files that
makes, but it figures ...
Could be a good idea to see how it grows.

Searching for some popular classes I found

92 hits for "person"
http://www.google.com/search?q=filetype:owl+person

49 hits for "event"
http://www.google.com/search?q=filetype:owl+event

Again I did not check yet how many different definitions of "Person" and
"Event" this really amounts to, but it would be interesting enough to
investigate a bit more about the following questions.

- How many classes http://foo#Person are already around there ?
- What can be learnt from their mutual reference, equivalence,
independence, consistency ?
- Will people keep on re-defining "Person", or eventually cluster around a
small number of reference ontologies ?

I was thinking that such popular classes could be used to track the
evolution of distributed ontologies, and the way authors will play the
re-using game. In short, scalability of the SW dream ...

Maybe food for some SW Ph.D :))

Bernard Vatant
Senior Consultant
Knowledge Engineering