RE: Chair's Concerns re: Test Cases and CR

On September 29, Smith, Michael K writes:

> I agree with most of what has been said in this thread.
>
> But, I would argue that use of oneOf is not really gratuitous.  We
> needed at least one example in order to present the concept.  And the
> selected uses are very similar and natural.  The example ontologies
> must be DL and because they were contrived to use all of the language
> it should not be surprising that they are a little odd.
>
> That it has implications for efficiency for certain classes of
> reasoners is important to know, and alternative, more efficient
> formulations would be good to present.
>
> Ian, what is the preferred, more efficient formulation?  Do you make
> the constants into classes and define WineFlavor as a union rather
> than collection?  And then what?  How do you rewrite
>
>   <WhiteWine rdf:ID="StGenevieveTexasWhite">
>     <locatedIn rdf:resource="#CentralTexasRegion" />
>     <hasMaker  rdf:resource="#StGenevieve" />
>     <hasSugar  rdf:resource="#Dry" />
>     <hasFlavor rdf:resource="#Moderate" />
>   </WhiteWine>
>
> Create an instance of a class Dry, to plug into the hasSugar
> relation?

No, make "StGenevieveTexasWhite" an instance of the intersection of
WhiteWine and someValuesFrom restrictions "locatedIn
CentralTexasRegion" etc. (e.g., see below).

Another point here is that I would also question the use of an
individual for StGenevieveTexasWhite. Why not make it a sub class of
WhiteWine rather than an instance? This seems more intuitive and is
much more flexible as we can now add, say,
Vintage2001StGenevieveTexasWhite and/or StGenevieveTexasWhiteReserva
as a subClasses of StGenevieveTexasWhite. Instead, by choosing to make
it an individual, you have fixed a priori the level of detail that can
be represented in the ontology, seriously restricting its
applicability.

Here is the rewriting - don't blame me for the verbosity of the
syntax! (In practice you would probably have classes such as
"DryWine", "CentralTexasWine" etc, which would make this much easier
to write.)

<WhiteWine rdf:about="StGenevieveTexasWhite">
    <rdf:type>
        <owl:Class>
            <owl:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
                <owl:Restriction>
                    <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#locatedIn"/>
                    <owl:someValuesFrom>
                        <owl:Class rdf:about="CentralTexasRegion"/>
                    </owl:someValuesFrom>
                </owl:Restriction>
                <owl:Restriction>
                    <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#hasMaker"/>
                    <owl:someValuesFrom>
                        <owl:Class rdf:about="StGenevieve"/>
                    </owl:someValuesFrom>
                </owl:Restriction>
                <owl:Restriction>
                    <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#hasSugar"/>
                    <owl:someValuesFrom>
                        <owl:Class rdf:about="Dry"/>
                    </owl:someValuesFrom>
                </owl:Restriction>
                <owl:Restriction>
                    <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#hasFlavor"/>
                    <owl:someValuesFrom>
                        <owl:Class rdf:about="Moderate"/>
                    </owl:someValuesFrom>
                </owl:Restriction>