Proposed responsed to Dan Brickley concerning owl:Class and rdfs:Class

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:56:53 +0300
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

Hi Dan

Thanks for your comment

We had an earlier similar comment from RDF Core WG, to which the official
reply was:

Assuming that you were familiar with this, we decided to further clarify the
use of owl:Class and rdfs:Class by means of additional test cases.

The first is in the published Candidate Rec and can be found at:

and this is targeted at OWL DL and OWL Lite users wanting to reuse RDFS

Further tests, targeted at the OWL Full user are found in the editors draft

The first shows that owl:Class and rdfs:Class are equivalent as classes in OWL
The second and third spell this out, by showing that a type triple using
owl:Class means exactly the same as a type triple using rdfs:Class.

The fourth ones shows the remaining distinction between the two classes in OWL
Full, that annotations concerning one are distinct from annotations
concerning the other.

We do not intend to make other changes in response to your comment.

The earlier response to RDF Core WG motivates having two concepts, but OWL
Full users can use either largely interchangeably.

Please reply copying public-webont-comments@w3.org whether the changes made in
response to your comment are sufficient.

Jeremy Carroll