Re: Dave's modified tests

At 5:31 PM +0100 9/15/03, Ian Horrocks wrote:
>I reiterate my strong opposition to the idea of modifying tests to
>make them easier to pass - as I mentioned in other emails, this is
>doing a disservice to implementors. I'm not convinced about the value
>of adding easier versions of a given test, but could be persuadable on
>that point.
>
>Ian

Let me be clear - my feeling is that some of our tests (esp. the ones
being discussed in this thread) test too many things at the same
time.  My preference for two versions was that this way an
implementor could clearly see what was expected in the comprehension
axioms that might not be otherwise needed to pass the test.

As far as rewrites go, I think we're in agreement - however the email
from Jeremy/Dave said:

>>  >Hence Dave automatically transforms Graph2 into a query which he can then
>>  >execute againsts Graph1, and pass the test.

which seems to me to be okay for a qualified pass -- if it said "Dave
works hard to recode the graph into a query using his human powers of
reasoning" then I would agree it wouldn't count -- but
"automatically" seems to me to be acceptable as long as note is made.

  -JH

Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  *** 240-277-3388 (Cell)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler      *** NOTE CHANGED CELL NUMBER ***