untyped URIs was RE: Agenda/Logistics, Oct 2 telecon

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:56:57 +0100
To: <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

The outstanding issue from Oct 2 is B below

I discussed this with Peter in Florida and we have a joint proposal on B.2
and I would be happy to abstain on a resolution for B.1 following Peter's
(see below)

> Jim
> here is a list of test related items that I am aware of, maybe
> for under 3.3
> in the agenda
> [[
> 3.3 - Peter and Jeremy have noted some discrepancies between Test and
> S&AS, since both are normative, these need resolution.  There seems
> to be little dispute, but WG should approve any of these needing a
> decision
> ]]
> B) uri references without a type
> B.1) as object of annotation properties
> B.2) as user defined datatype
> B) uri references without a type
> B.1) as object of annotation properties
> Test case:
> http://www.w3.org/2002/03owlt/editors-draft/draft/proposedByFuncti
> on#AnnotationProperty-003
> jeremy:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Sep/0313
> peter:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Sep/0319
> My preference is:
> PROPOSE modify S&AS to ensure that urireference objects of annotation
> properties are one of
> datatypeID, classID, individualID, ontologyID, datavaluedPropertyID,
> individualvaluedPropertyID, annotationPropertyID, ontologyPropertyID.
> B.2) as user defined datatype
> Test case:
> http://www.w3.org/2002/03owlt/editors-draft/draft/proposedByIssue#I5.8-016
> (also note test I5.8-013, I5.8-014, I5.8-015 which are related)
> jeremy:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Sep/0154
> peter:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Sep/0181
> I would be happy with either:
> - modifying S&AS to require an
>   ddd rdf:type rdfs:Datatype .
>  triple
> or
> -modifying S&AS to be underdefined in this area
> cf.
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Sep/0283

B.2 datatypes

Peter agreed with my analysis that this is an error in S&AS, and that test
I5.8-016 should be correct.

PROPOSE that S&AS be modified to require a triple <xxx> rdf:type
rdfs:Datatype . in OWL DL for any user defined datatype <xxx>, even when
only used inside a typed literal.

This is no change to test and small change to S&AS.

B.1 uris as annotations

While we still disagree on this one, I am happy to concede - unless other WG
members feel strongly about this.
If someone else wishes to propose along the lines
Modify resolution of Issue 5.26 OWL DL Syntax, so that uris used only as the
obejct of annotation properties do not need to have a type triple.

This would be no change in S&AS and small change to test.

I would abstain.