ANNOUNCEMENT: OWL API now available

From: Sean Bechhofer <seanb@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:45:31 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

We are pleased to announce an initial release of an API for OWL [1]. The
API consists of a number of Java interfaces providing access to
objects representing OWL ontologies. The data model is based on the
OWL Abstract Syntax [2], and provides a view of the ontology objects
which is separated from any particular concrete representation
(e.g. RDF triples or the OWL XML Schema [3]).

A default reference in-memory implementation is supplied, along with a
parser which will parse OWL-RDF. Sample applications, including a
Species Validator are also included in the distribution.

The API and implementation code can be downloaded from:

http://sourceforge.net/owlapi

Further information is also available from:

http://wonderweb.semanticweb.org/owl

A paper describing some of the decisions behind the design of the API
will be presented at the 2nd International Semantic Web Conference at
Sanibel Island [4].

The code is being made available under the GNU Lesser General Public
License (LGPL).

For further details, please contact the authors.

Our apologies if you receive this message more than once.

--
Sean Bechhofer, University of Manchester
  [seanb@cs.man.ac.uk]

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-xmlsyntax/