W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-webont-wg@w3.org > October 2003

Draft minutes 9th October 2003 telecon

From: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 18:44:38 +0100
Message-ID: <16261.40582.829302.117031@merlin.horrocks.net>
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

Minutes of Oct 9 meeting
Chair: Hendler Scribe: Horrocks

===========================================

Summary of new and continued actions:

ACTION DanC: turn Ian's reviews into test cases
ACTION Guus: review LC2 RDF schema when it comes
ACTION Jim: review LC2 RDF Concepts
ACTION Herman: to review RDF semantics doc

ACTION jimH: ask mindswap for review of Sean's doc
ACTION guus: ask peter for review
ACTION jjc: review sean's document

ACTION Guus: see whether ontoweb can provide some support for OWL outreach
ACTION MikeD: see whether DAML can provide some support for OWL outreach

ACTION ChrisW: to write up draft of working group position on OMG
        ontology metamodel definition in general and on OKBC in particular
ACTION Guus: to comment on naturalness of mapping from OWL to UML

ACTION jjc: update test spec with approvals
ACTION IanH: to write up proposal/rationale for change in 
        semantics of ontology consistency

ACTION Jos: make additional query-style tests
ACTION jjc: Update tests Ontology-002, Ontology-003

ACTION JimH: to reply to comment on allDisjoint
ACTION Sandro: Report reasoning status re useful subsets of OWLFull
ACTION Jeremy: to talk to Jena team about Full subset implementations
ACTION Jim: to talk to Pellet team about Full subset implementations
ACTION DanC: arrange for redirect (of old versions of Guide)
ACTION Guus: to send reply to Brickley's owl:Class/rdfs:Class comment
ACTION Jeremy: to add a new test that highlights one of the issues in message
        http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0001

===========================================

Full minutes of Meeting:

    AGENDA  Teleconference Web Ontology Working Group
     Oct 2, 2003, 1200 (East US), 0900 (West US). 1700 (London)
     Duration: 90 min

    IRC Chat: irc:irc.w3.org (port 6665), #webont
    Chair: Hendler Scribe: Horrocks

    1.0 Admin
    Role Call

On the phone I see Sandro, Jeff_Heflin, JeanFrancois, Ian_Horrocks,
DanC, HermanT, ChrisW, Evan_Wallace, SeanB, Deb_Mcguinness, MikeDean,
Jim_Hendler


    Next Call Oct 30, 2003 Chair: Schreiber Scribe: TBD

    Approve as minutes of Oct 2 meeting http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/
    2003Oct/0040.html

Proposed Jim, seconded Evan


    2.0 RDF Core Issues
    ACTION DanC turn Ian's reviews into test cases

Dan: needed?
Ian: useful - at least for interactions with OWL Full

Action continued.


    ACTION guus send mail to brian summarizing unfinished semantics review

Done


    ACTION Guus review LC2 RDF schema when it comes

Continued


    ACTION Jim review LC2 RDF Concepts

Continued


    ACTION Guus revise I18N comment and send

Done


Herman: I have a continued action to review RDF semantics doc.

ACTION Herman to review RDF semantics doc

Continued


    4.0 Sean's document

Jim: Sandro agreed to provide team support
Jim: Sean, need reviews first?
Sean: yes
Jim: Please send definitive pointer

    ACTION jimH ask mindswap for review of Sean's doc

Continued


    ACTION guus ask peter for review

Continued


    ACTION jjc: review sean's document

Continued


    5.0 Outreach:
    The following actions will be addressed in Florida at ISWC.
    ACTION Guus: see whether ontoweb can provide some support for OWL outreach
    ACTION MikeD: see whether DAML can provide some support for OWL outreach

Mike: will talk to people at DAML PI meeting


    ACTION Guus: organize FAQ/guideline maintenance discussion at ISWC

Done (see later discussion)


    Any other Outreach issues

OMG

ChrisW: Summary of 4 OMG proposals. Have been encouraged by OMG to
come up with single proposal. Sandpiper already have OKBC based
tools. Objections to OKBC as interlingua - different semantics.
Jim:    Groups working together?
EvanW:  Yes.
Jim:    Anything we can do/say? i.e., summary of what ChrisW just said.
EvanW:  Would have no official status, but they want to satisfy customers (who we represent to some extent)
Dan: Any way to make it official?
EvanW:  Probably not. Needs to talk to OMG about mechanisms.
Dan:    Maybe derivative work and licensing issues.
Jim:    Any point downstream where they ask for input.
Evan:   No - may as well speak now.
Dan:    W3C is an OMG member and could (have) vote(d)
ChrisW: Too late to vote?
EvanW:  Too late to be added to voting list - only people on list can
vote on outcomes from taskforce. But will be (important) membership
vote later, probably around June 2004.
Jim:    Anything else we should be doing?
EvanW:  If WG has an opinion it should be written down and sent.

ACTION: ChrisW to draft such an opinion.

EvanW:  Next deadline is March 29th, so getting this done by Oct 30th is OK.
Ian:    Doubts about OKBC API
Deb:    We don't have a better one, do we?
Ian:    "We" (Manchester) does
Sean:   One sitting under Validator, paper at ISWC, see http://wonderweb.man.ac.uk/owl
Dan:    Three listed
        *  OWL API (bechhofer/volz 7 May)
        * Jena (Reynolds/HP 7 May)
        * Cerebra from network inference
Jim:    May need discussion of this on list
Jeremy: This would be useful
Deb:    Comparisons with OKBC would be useful

ACTION: ChrisW to write up draft of working group position on OKBC in
OMG ontology metamodel definition

ACTION: Guus to comment on naturalness of mapping from OWL to UML

ChrisW: This mapping is not what these proposals are about
Guus:   IBM proposal maps literals to classes
ChrisW, Guus, EvanW: technical argument about UML - to be followed up by email


Jim:    asks MikeD about persistence of DAML.org?
MikeD:  at least length of DAML prog. Will be discussed at DAML PI mtg.
Jim:    WG might want to consider if we want to do anything?
Dan:    could be discussed in upcoming meeting organised by Guus
Guus:   Meeting at Lunch on Tuesday Oct 21 to discuss FAQ/guideline maintenance.
Dan:    How many?
Guus:   Table of 12.
Dan:    Maybe less - participants expected to contribute real effort.
Jim:    Maybe better to have larger group first then smaller breakout.
Guus:   May be better to be invitation only.
Jim:    Yes, for small discussion.


    3.0 Test and CR issues

    ACTION jjc update test spec with approvals. ETA friday next week or after

JJC: no actions done - will be done tomorrow.

continued


    ACTION IanH follow up on Thing-001 and S&AS

Ian:    Easy to change; more consistent with FOL; but some "taste" element.
Jeremy: Doesn't see it that way.

ACTION: IanH to write up proposal/rationale for change in semantics.

Jim: Straw Poll - who in favour of change?
     about 5 for 2 (weakly) against.


    Approve new tests?
    wine.owl and food.owlTests have now been passed by Network Inference 
    (winner of Owl.owl award)@@ email from public-webont-comments

Jim: test now passed. Anything else to do? Suggest withdrawing action to make tests extra credit.


    ACTION JJC:  propose to make the existing guide tests extra credit, Withdrawn?

Action withdrawn.


    ACTION jjc derive similar tests by mechanical transformation

Withdrawn.


    ACTION Jos: make additional query-style tests.

Continued.


    ACTION jjc Update tests Ontology-002, Ontology-003

Continued.


    ACTION pfps Update S&AS re optional Ontology tripleACTION jjc Update test 
    change log re optional Ontology triple

Done.


    Discussion of "disjoint" (actioned from last agenda, I am not sure what this issue is)

Jeremy: Missing allDisjoint comment. Jeremy has pulled out answer from Test.
Jim:    Words added to ref as result of earlier comments

ACTION: JimH to reply to comment on allDisjoint

Jeremy: My text might already be enough
Jim:    I will look and see and keep Jeremy in the loop.


    ACTION: Sandro - Report reasoning status re useful subsets of OWLFull.

continued

Sandro: Still not done; needs more work on Sernia (or Jena or Pellet)
Jeremy: Will liaise with Jena team.
Sandro, Jeremy: Aim is to fulfil requirement to have 2 "useful" Full subset implementations.

ACTION: Jeremy and Jim to talk to Jena and Pellet respectively.


    ACTION DanC: arrange for redirect (of old versions of Guide)

Continued.


    ACTION Guus: see if Reference answers Brickley's owl:Class/rdfs:Class comment

Done

Guus:   Pat Hayes already replied, and Dan Brickley seemed satisfied. Is
text in Ref that discusses this in some detail.
Jeremy: WG should disown earlier reply and send a new one.
Dan:    would appreciate an editor's response from Guus.
Guus, Jeremy, Jim, Dan: ongoing discussion about appropriate response.
Jeremy: See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Sep/0258

ACTION: Guus to send reply to Brickley's owl:Class/rdfs:Class comment

Guus:   Jeremy to review draft.


    Any other test discussion by Jeremy

Jeremy: From http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0001. 
Disagreement with Peter. Postpone discussion until Peter is on call.

ACTION: Jeremy to add a new test that highlights one of the issues in the message.



6.0 AOB

Dan: Are we on top of incoming comments?
Jim: Believe so.
Jim: Thanks to Sandro for results page. Does updated Results page satisfy requirements?
Charles: Yes for me.
Jim: Send any comments.

Jim: Believes we have passed CR conditions. Any hurry to be definitive?
Dan: No
Jeremy: Should work through tests and finalise status.
Jim: Just wants to know if we met conditions in case we are asked.

Meeting adjourned.
Received on Thursday, 9 October 2003 13:50:39 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:02 GMT