Re: Guide tests

At 5:41 PM +0100 10/6/03, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>After discussion within HP ....
>

>===
>
>HP developers are surprised that the tests from the OWL Guide are
>not being passed by any systems.
>
>We are particularly concerned since the comment:
>
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webont-comments/2003May/0046
>"have long CR period for OWL, or move owl:oneOf, owl: have Value to OWL Full"
>
>alerted the Working Group to our fears in this area, and the reply
>
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webont-comments/2003Jun/0023
>
>particularly
>[[
>The WG has been made aware of implementations of OWL DL that include
>both inverseOf and oneOf and which seem to be performing well in
>practice.  The working group will definitely consider their status
>and usability before deciding on our schedule with respect to
>Candidate Recommendation and Proposed Recommendation.
>]]
>
>seemed to suggest that the potential problem was under control.
>
>Since this seems to have been mistaken, we request that discussion
>of the Last Call comment from Martin Merry be reopened.
>
>Jeremy Carroll, HP

I think we should wait to see if these get passed - I'm not yet
convinced that these are not passable -- in discussion with my group,
they feel the primary problem with these two problems is that they
have so much going, not that they cannot potentially be handled -- we
are going to look at them more closely -- to date we simply haven't
attacked them because we've been looking at other problems which are
easier, and we suspect that other implementors have done the same.
  -JH
p.s. Even if these do prove to be too hard to prove consistent at the
current time, I don't see how that would change the response to Merry
-- proving things consistent is not the only reason to have OWL...

Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  *** 240-277-3388 (Cell)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler      *** NOTE CHANGED CELL NUMBER ***