Re: S&AS: Treatment of imports in RDF-Compatible Semantics

From: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: S&AS: Treatment of imports in RDF-Compatible Semantics
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 03:52:24 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Jeff Heflin <heflin@cse.lehigh.edu>
> Subject: S&AS: Treatment of imports in RDF-Compatible Semantics
> Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 14:48:11 -0400

[...]

> Yes, there is an oversight here.  I propose, however, to instead use
>
>   Definitions: Let K and Q be imports-closed collections of RDF graphs.
>   [... as before]
>
> peter

On further reflection, I propose to leave the definition the same, but to
add wording to the effect that entailment is best carried out on
imports-closed collections, as follows:

OWL Full entailment as defined here is not the service that should be
provided by OWL tools.  Instead, OWL tools should provide a service that
first computes the imports closures and then determines whether one
imports-closed collection entails the other.

peter