Re: proposed reply for Re: OWL S&AS comment - owl:Ontology mapping to/from RDF triples

Peter - am okay w/this with a few modifications (snipping everything
else to save space)

At 12:33 PM -0400 5/14/03, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>    OWL Web Ontology Language Semantics and Abstract Syntax
>>    W3C Working Draft 31 March 2003
>>    http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-owl-semantics-20030331/
>>

>>  If several OWL Ontologies are in the same RDF graph such as when they
>>  are taken from multiple sources (such as via owl:import), there will
>>  be no connection between the OWL Ontology and the components.
>
>Yes, agreed.  I'm not sure what, if any, remedy is possible or desired
>here.  I've explained that there are no semantic consequences of this
>relationship.
>
>What would you suggest as a possible avenue to explore?

i would not engage the comment raiser in a discussion in this case.
I think I would suggest dropping the "what would you suggest" line

>>  Please can you explain why the OWL Ontology container-to-component
>>  relation in the abstract syntax is not passed through to the OWL
>>  transfer syntax.
>
>Largely because the OWL transfer syntax (RDF graphs as encoded in RDF/XML)
>is not a suitable vehicle for doing this.

True, but let's say why -- something like

The OWL transfer syntax uses RDF graphs as encoded in RDF/XML.
Currently, there is no standard mechanism in RDF for representing the
context of information, recommending instead the use of RDF
annotations [point to RDF LC doc?]. These annotations were a factor
in our WG deciding to add annotations to our language [point to issue
5.26] and that is currently the mechanism to be used for this kind of
container-to-component mapping.
   -JH

p.s. on an implementation note - Dave Beckett has added a context
mechanism to Redland, and my group uses that to do these sort of
mappings on the new OWL-based Mindswap web pages