SHOULD NOT return unknown

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 13:15:08 +0200
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

I suggested revised text on the consistency checker including this
paragraph:

> A consistency checker SHOULD NOT return Unknown. This requirement is to
> remind implementors that Unknown, while sometimes needed, is not
> a response desired by the user.
> This requirement also clarifies that techniques
> <link1>essential</link1> [Patent Policy] in non-trivial consistency
> checkers are <link2>normative</link2> in this recommendation.

The <link1> to the definition of essential is:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-patent-policy-20030319/#def-essential-definitio
and <link2> to
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-patent-policy-20030319/#def-essential-requireme
nts

this is intended to better ensure that the royalty free status of the WG
covers the requirements of a consistency checker. (I am a little concerned
that without it, there is nothing essential in building a consistency
checker since
echo Unknown
is an alternative implementation). We might consider asking the patent
policy WG to review that paragraph as part of the last call process.

Jeremy